Why you should choose MunkMD Dermatology
- Specializing in both medical and cosmetic dermatology, Dr. Munk is at the forefront of aesthetic medicine, ensuring natural and beautiful results with a focus on patient safety.
- The most current laser technologies available on the market, promising superior results for any given skin concern.
- All treatment plans are individualized and created by Dr. Munk, a board certified dermatologist, who truly understands the dynamics in the skin and can deliver superior solutions that are effective and safe.
- Every consultation includes a comprehensive skin assessment and customized treatment plan tailored to your skin care needs.
- Dr. Munk is an expert at using injectables such as fillers to turn back the clock, tighten and revolumize the skin non-invasively, resulting in a natural and refreshed appearance.
Chemical Peels have been used for decades in medical cosmetology. They work by applying an acid solution that removes the outermost layer of the skin and gives the skin a younger, healthier appearance. Chemical Peels play an important role in skin rejuvenation by improving the appearance of large pores, age spots and sun damage, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and by improving the overall complexion of the skin.
Glycolic and Jessner Peel Treatment
Depending on the underlying condition, Dr. Munk will choose between a glycolic peel and Jessner peel. A glycolic peel is an exceptional cosmetic option for individuals seeking smoother, youthful, and more radiant skin. Glycolic peel uses a mild Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) derived from sugar cane to produce a light peel of the outermost damaged layers of the skin. Glycolic acid peels work to remove the unhealthy layers of skin and unblock the follicles to reduce and prevent acne. These peels also penetrate into the skin to rejuvenate and regenerate collagen and elastin. A Jessner peel is a popular medium-depth chemical peel that is considered stronger than most superficial chemical peels. It consists of three main ingredients: lactic acid (assists in the exfoliation of the skin), salicylic acid (aids in penetration), and resorcinol (assists in the treatment of acne). Jessner peels target hyperpigmentation from the sun, minimize fine lines, assist the treatment of melasma, and even out skin texture while minimizing pore size. Dr. Munk has helped many patients refresh and revitalize their facial appearance with chemical peel treatments at his private practice in Montreal, Quebec.
During treatment, the patient’s skin is thoroughly cleansed and the peel is applied. Depending on whether the peel needs to be neutralized, the peel will either be left on the skin or it will be removed and a lightweight moisturizer or a calming mask is applied at the end of the treatment. The downtime for a chemical peel can vary depending on the type of peel and how many coats are applied.
For a lighter peel, patients may experience mild redness for a few hours and a mild flaking for 1-2 days following the treatment. For stronger peels, it is possible for patients to experience dry, tight skin with slight redness and heightened sensitivity that can last 2-4 days. When the old, damaged skin has peeled away, patients will be left with more refreshed, glowing skin.
Chemical peels are suitable for most people whether they are peeling for the first time or using peels as a maintenance program. In general, they can be used as stand-alone procedures, however best results are achieved through combining a peel with good skin care.