Botox vs. Fillers – What’s the Difference?
- Posted on: May 22 2018
Wrinkles and frown lines are an unfortunate and frustrating part of the aging process. There are many solutions, such as plastic surgery, that require a huge commitment, but there are simpler and reversible treatment options, too! Botox and dermal fillers are great solutions for preventing and reversing the signs of aging, and we offer both at MunkMD to give you the most natural results. How do you know which treatment will be most beneficial for you? Read on for more info and our pro tips to help you choose between the two.
What is Botox?
Botulinum toxin is a largely non-toxic neurotoxin used medically to treat certain muscular conditions. It is the most tested product on the market and has been used in the cosmetic industry for over 20 years. Botox injections relax the facial muscles to smooth unwanted wrinkles and stop deeper lines from forming.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are designed to be injected beneath the surface of the skin to add volume. Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm™ and Restylane™, are the most popular. Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a natural substance in the skin that keeps us looking youthful. As we age into our late twenties and thirties we lose HA in our skin, so fillers can rejuvenate the skin and the fullness in certain areas.
What are the areas best suited for Botox?
Botox is best suited for wrinkles that are caused by muscle movement, also known as expression lines. The most common concerns treated with Botox include vertical lines between the eyebrows, horizontal lines on the forehead, frown lines around the mouth, crow’s feet around the eyes, and “bunny lines” around the nose. When these muscles are targeted, they can’t contract thus making the wrinkles relax and soften. However, did you know that wrinkles aren’t the only issues that can be treated with Botox? Other concerns include:
- Acne. When injected directly to the skin, Botox can help eliminate large pores, oil production, and breakouts.
- The nose. Your nose can begin to sag around the age of 40, but Botox can help lift the nose, making the face appear more lively.
- A sagging neck. Botox relaxes the neck muscles to smooth wrinkles and reduce sagging. This takes years off your face!
- Excessive sweating. Botox disrupts the message between nerves and sweat glands, preventing you from producing excessive sweat.
What are the areas best suited for Fillers?
Since aging comes in many forms, there are different types of fillers that can be used. Fillers that were developed over 10 years ago have properties that can lift and add volume to your skin in a way that surgery was only able to do. Depending on the dermal filler selected, it may help:
- Reduce eye bags. Fillers can eliminate the tired look from under-eye bags by filling the hollow beneath the eyes and giving eyelids a lift.
- Enhance cheeks. Fillers can help define or fill sunken cheekbones and help rejuvenate your profile.
- Plump up thinning lips. This is one of the most popular treatments because fillers quickly give you fuller lips, reduce lines around the mouth, and moisturize the skin.
- Contour the jawline. The jawline can be enhanced by adding volume and definition to loose or sagging skin.
Botox and fillers can both enhance your facial features and restore a more youthful appearance. However, those who offer these treatments vary in their degree of knowledge, experience, and technique. At MunkMD, it is only Dr. Roni Munk, a certified Dermatologist that has studied facial anatomy for many years, who injects the patients. Dr. Munk places a lot of importance on experience and technique, and is always at the forefront of aesthetic medicine. Feel free to come in for a consultation and find out which injectable treatment would best benefit you!
Posted in: Uncategorized